On February 9th Fr. Kusi called for a Parish Assembly starting with Mass and then small table group discussions and refreshments. This introduced the book Divine Renovation and the concept of bringing our parish from a maintenance church to a mission church. Sts Cornelius & Cyprian held their annual St. Patrick’s Day Dinner on March 16th. The first combined Sts. JC&C DSA pledge drive kicked off on March 16th with a goal of $57,812. The goal was achieved in early July. The 23rd Annual “Blackthorn” concert/fundraiser was held on March 23rd. The first combined Parish Directory was published in April for the Catholic Community of Sts. James, Cornelius & Cyprian. The RCIA Class of 2019 included four members and was lead by Jim Marshall and Ron Iwaszkiewicz. A special Mass was held on April 28th at 8:30 AM at St. James due to the large number of communicants this year. A walking Rosary Group was formed at St. James and they meet Saturday mornings at 8:00 AM. The Knights Angels created a cookbook with recipes gathered from Sts. James, Cornelius & Cyprian parishioners and sold them as a fundraiser for their group. After the 10:30 AM Mass on June 9th, a group of parishioners removed everything out of the Ambo and pulled up all the old carpet and trim. On June 10th, a construction crew directed by parishioner Ted Burch started laying a new hardwood floor including new reinforcement edging and final trim. The project took five days to complete thanks to the crew of parishioners Alison Burch, Rebecca Burch, Jim Marshall, Bob McCormick, Chris Knudstrup, Jerry O’Shesky, Roger Madsen, Pat Morrison, Paul Miller and Tony Igl with Ron Wieferich reworking the electrical and sound system wiring. A clean up crew and resetting crew had everything cleaned and ready to go for a funeral on Saturday morning and Mass in the evening. Vacation Bible school was held June 24th to 26th and sled into an “ice” summer experience! At the Polar Blast kids chilled with new friends and warmed up to Jesus—the coolest friend of all. We participated with the Mason First Presbyterian, Mason First United Methodist and All Saints Lutheran churches for the 5th year. We hosted over 65 children. Eleven Community of Sts. James, Cornelius & Cyprian Youth and leaders attended the Steubenville Youth Conference on June 28th, 29th & 30th. The “33 Days to Morning Glory” small group retreat started on July 13th. Deacon Tom Feiten was granted Senior Deacon Status by Bishop Earl Boyea and has retired. A “Thank You” and Roast party, hosted by Parishioners Pat and Irene Morrison with special guest Bishop Emeritus Carl Mengeling, was given in his honor on July 20th. Deacon Tom was ordained a Deacon on May 20, 2000 and assigned to St. James. The Youth mission trip took place from July 21st through July 27th. On July 28th, all parishioners were gifted with the book “Letter to a Suffering Church” by Bishop Robert Barron.
This time line is dedicated to the memory of Betty Evans, long time St. James Parishioner and St. James Historian who passed away on February 18, 2010. Without her many years of collecting and compiling our Church history, much of this time line and its details would not have been possible.
Our goal is to have our St. James Campus Historical information as accurate as possible. If you find errors, or have additional information regarding our history, please send to [email protected] or drop off at the Parish Office.
Our Priests and Service Dates
Msgr. Fr. Charles Keating December 1942 – July 1955
Fr. Paul J. DeRose July 1955 – June 1957
Fr. James W. Lee June 1957 – January 1963
Fr. William J. Rademacher January 1963 – August 1966
Fr. Brendan K. Ledwidge August 1966 – June 1971
Fr. George B. Zabelka June 1971 – January 1976
Msgr. Fr. Raymond Goehring February 1976 – March 1980
Msgr. Fr. William F. Meyers May 1980 – June 1984
Fr. William J. McKeon January 1983 – June 1983
Msgr. Fr. Richard Groshek July 1984 – January 1985
Fr. Phillip Gallagher January 1985 – June 1985
Fr. Kenneth McDonald June 1985 – June 1999
Fr. Alan J. Wakefield June 1999 – August 2010
Fr. Kusitino Cobona, (Fr. Kusi) September 2010 –
Our “Favorite Sons”
Fr. Phil Schmitter Ordained December 28, 1971
Deacon Gordon Kilburn Ordained September 29, 1984
Deacon Tom Feiten Ordained May 20, 2000
Deacon Vince Guarnaccia RIP Ordained May 20, 2000
Fr. Michael Jacobus Ordained June 6, 2008
Our Religious and Lay Ministers
Sister M. Helen Ballard OP School Principal 1957-1963
Sister Immaculate Marie OP Assistant Principal 1957-1961 & 1963-1970
Sister Dorothy Marie Beers OP Teacher 1958-1959
Sister M. Bartholomew Kitko OP Teacher 1959-1960
Sister Raphael Marie OP Teacher 1959-1960
Sister Marian Therese OP Teacher 1960-1962
Sister Ann Laudine OP Teacher 1961-1966
Sister Jean Raymond OP Teacher 1962-1965
Sister M. Bartholemew Kitko OP School Principal 1963-1970
Sister John Kiera OP Teacher 1965-1966
Sister Peter Elaine OP Teacher 1966-1968
Sister Joseph Helen OP Teacher 1967-1968
Sister Rose Edward OP Teacher 1968-1970
Sister Helen Smith S.N.D Parish Coordinator 1972-1976
Sister Maureen Martin CSJ Parish Ministries 1987–2014
Virginia Guarnaccia Commissioned Ecclesial Lay Minister 1997
Rose Robertson Commissioned Ecclesial Lay Minister 2002
Barb White Commissioned Ecclesial Lay Minister 2002
Marie Sheridan Commissioned Ecclesial Lay Minister 2006
Gordon Kilburn Deacon 1984-1993
Thomas Feiten Deacon 2000-2019
Al Turkovich Deacon 2010-Present
Bishops of the Diocese of Lansing
The Diocese of Lansing was created on May 22, 1937, by Proclamation from Pope Pius XI and included parts of the Archdiocese of Detroit and the Archdiocese of Grand Rapids. Most Reverend Joseph H. Albers of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati was appointed first Bishop of the Diocese of Lansing on May 26, 1937, and served until his death on December 1, 1965.
Most Reverend Alexander M. Zaleski of the Archdiocese of Detroit became the second Bishop of Lansing on October 7, 1967 and served until his death on May 16, 1975.
Most Reverend Kenneth J. Povish of the Diocese of Crookston became the third Bishop of Lansing in 1975 and served until his retirement in 1995. He died September 5, 2003.
Monsignor Carl F. Mengeling of the Diocese of Gary Indiana became the fourth Bishop of Lansing upon ordination and installation on January 25, 1996 and served until his retirement February 27, 2008.
Most Reverend Earl Boyea of the Archdiocese of Detroit became the fifth Bishop of Lansing on April 29, 2008.
St. James Catholic Church Historian Team
Paul S. Miller-Historian,